WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) met with his Military and Veterans Advisory Committee in Wichita at McConnell Air Force Base (AFB) on May 31, 2011. Sen. Moran formed the committee in 2009, to advise him on issues affecting service members and veterans in Kansas.
“This Memorial Day week, we are mindful of the sacrifices made by those who wear our nation’s uniform to keep our country safe. Our service members and veterans have always been a priority for me and this Advisory Committee gives me unique insight and a better understanding of the issues they face,” Sen. Moran said. “I value the advice given by these respected Kansas military and veteran leaders, and I will take their recommendations and concerns with me to Washington.”
A number of issues facing Kansas military and veterans were discussed, including: placement of the new KC-46A tanker; Sen. Moran’s recent visit to Afghanistan and ongoing military missions; efforts to assist overcrowding at Ft. Riley schools; and a proposed joint Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs surgical center on McConnell AFB. Additionally, Sen. Moran and the committee were briefed on McConnell AFB’s refueling tanker and intelligence missions by Colonel James Crowhurst, Commander of the 22nd Air Refueling Wing, and Colonel J.J. Hernandez, Commander of the 184th Intelligence Wing.
Click here to see a photo of Sen. Moran with representatives of the Command and General Staff College Foundation, Inc., who presented the senator an award for his efforts in support of the 5 Star Generals Congressional Coin Bill which honors the U.S. Army’s Command and General Staff College and its graduates. From left to right are Lieutenant General (ret) Robert Arter, Colonel (ret) Robert Ulin, and Lieutenant General (ret) Richard Keller.
Members of the Military Advisory Committee include:
· Roger Aeschliman, Topeka. Lieutenant Colonel, Kansas Army National Guard
· Robert Arter, Lansing. Lieutenant General, U.S. Army (retired)
· Jim AuBuchon, Overland Park. Brigadier General, U.S. Army (retired)
· Mark Edwards, Junction City. Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army
· Tom Fryer, Manhattan. Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Air Force (retired)
· Jennifer Jackman, Elsmore. Mother of Marine 1st Lieutenant Ryan Jackman and National Hospital Chairperson for American Gold Star Mothers and Kansas Chapter Vice President
· Richard Keller, Leavenworth. Lieutenant General, U.S. Army (retired)
· Chaplain Orris Kelly, Manhattan. Major General, U.S. Army (retired)
· Gary LaGrange, Manhattan. Colonel, U.S. Army (retired)
· Cathy McClain, Wichita. Colonel, U.S. Air Force (retired)
· Richard Myers, Arlington, VA. General, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, U.S. Air Force (retired)
· Chaplain George Powers, Pittsburg. Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Army (retired)
· Randy Roebuck, Wichita. Colonel, Kansas Air National Guard (retired)
· Robert Ulin, Lansing. Colonel, U.S. Army (retired)
· Dave Warnken, Hutchinson. Former Petty Officer 2nd Class, U.S. Navy
· Dick Young, Manhattan. Command Seargent Major, U.S. Army (retired)