Selection Board will review applications and interview candidates for admission to U.S. Service Academies
Sep 19 2018
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) today announced the members of his 2018 Kansas Service Academy Selection Board. The 18-member board will review applications and interview candidates who are applying for admission to U.S. Service Academies. These include the U.S. Military Academy, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Air Force Academy and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Those selected will enter the academies in June 2019.
“I am proud that so many young Kansas men and women are interested in attending service academies and devoting themselves to serving our country,” said Sen. Moran. “I am grateful to our impressive Service Academy Selection Board for the thoughtful consideration they put into the application review and interview process. Service Academy students are some of Kansas’s best and brightest, and I look forward to receiving the selection board’s recommendations.”
Applications will be reviewed and selected applicants will be interviewed by the selection board on Saturday, September 22 at the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene. Media are invited to attend the event. Questions about the event may be directed to Morgan_Said@moran.senate.gov.
Members of the 2018 Kansas Service Academy Selection Board include:
- Lt. Col. (RET) Bob Brock of Topeka – Director of Aviation, Kansas Department of Transportation, U.S. Air Force veteran;
- Myca Bunch of Garden City – President, Garden City Area Chamber of Commerce, U.S. Air Force veteran;
- Dennis Butler of Ottawa – Ottawa Chief of Police;
- Ardith Dunn, Ph.D., of Satanta – Retired high school mathematics/computer instructor, superintendent, mother of U.S. Air Force Academy graduate;
- Marche Fleming-Randle, Ph.D., of Wichita – Wichita State University College of Liberal Arts and Science Senior Assistant Dean and Assistant to the President for Diversity;
- Sue Givens of El Dorado – USD 490 Superintendent of Schools;
- Robin Jackson, Ph.D., of Hutchinson – Central Christian College Professor of Science and Mathematics;
- Cheryl Kerns of Overland Park – Blue Valley West High School teacher, mother of U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Brian Kessens of Overland Park – Tortoise Capital managing director, U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Katrina Lewison of Manhattan – USD 383 Board of Education Member, Purple Heart recipient, U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Jayne Humphrey Pearce of Wallace – Wallace County Visitors Bureau Marketing and Tourism Director, U.S. Air Force veteran, mother of U.S. Air Force Academy graduate;
- Rachael Pitchford of Dodge City – Assistant Principal, Comanche Middle School, U.S. Marine Corps veteran;
- Sean Ritchie of Wichita – Cargill North American Operations Lead, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy graduate;
- Mike Souder of Prairie Village – Dean of Continuing Education, Johnson County Community College, U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Delbert Stanton of Hays – Retired United Methodist Church minister and grandfather of three Air Force Academy graduates;
- Paul Taylor of Overland Park – Regional Administrator, FEMA Region VII, U.S. Military Academy graduate;
- Ron Whitney of Emporia – American Legion member, Veterans of Foreign Wars member, U.S. Army veteran;
- Beth Wilson of Girard – Business education teacher, Girard High School, mother of U.S. Naval Academy Midshipman.