Dec 10 2019
WASHINGTON – Today, U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) – Chairman of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies and member of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration and Related Agencies – released the following statement on the agreement reached between the White House and Congress regarding the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA):
“I have long advocated for movement on USMCA, and I applaud the White House and Congress for reaching an agreement today and advancing this deal. Canada and Mexico are Kansas’ top two export markets, and over the last two years, I have heard directly from Kansans how vital a modern trade deal like USMCA would be for our farmers, ranchers and manufacturers to compete and succeed in the 21st Century economy. Now is the time to get USMCA across the finish line, and I urge the House to quickly bring USMCA up for a vote.”
Timeline of Sen. Moran’s engagement regarding a modernized trade agreement:
- November 15, 2017: Sen. Moran sends open letter to U.S. agricultural organizations regarding the threat of NAFTA withdrawal and urged them to advocate for sound trade policy.
- December 6, 2017: Sen. Moran met with Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross regarding NAFTA negotiations.
- January 7, 2018 and January 13, 2019: Sen. Moran spoke at the American Farm Bureau Federation annual convention about the importance of trade and modernizing NAFTA.
- January 30, 2018: Sen. Moran sent a letter to President Trump highlighting how NAFTA benefits the United States and outlining how the agreement can be improved.
- February 1, 2018: Spoke at annual National Cattlemen’s Beef Association conference about importance of trade and modernizing NAFTA.
- April 12, 2018: Sen. Moran discussed the importance of trade and NAFTA during an Agriculture and Trade Roundtable at the White House with President Trump.
- May 23, 2018: Sen. Moran sent a letter urging the administration to work closely with members of Congress to make certain a renegotiated NAFTA has the congressional support necessary to be enacted into law.
- July 26, 2018: Sen. Moran spoke on the Senate floor regarding the importance of trade to Kansas, including with Canada and Mexico
- August 28, 2018: Sen. Moran sent a letter urging President Trump to ensure Canada was part of trilateral deal following the U.S. and Mexico reaching a preliminary agreement on a revamped NAFTA.
- October 1, 2018: Sen. Moran released a statement after the United States, Canada and Mexico announced they have reached a trilateral deal regarding the future of NAFTA.
- January 18, 2019: Sen. Moran authored an op-ed in The Garden City Telegram regarding the importance of trade agreements and passing the USMCA.
- April 18, 2019: Sen. Moran released a statement on the report accessing the likely impact of USMCA by the International Trade Commission.