WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) today released the following statement after the Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA):
“The NDAA is critical to safeguarding our freedoms and supporting our servicemembers and their families. This legislation further modernizes our military and includes the largest pay raise for our troops in nearly a decade. I applaud my colleagues for working to create a bipartisan bill that we can send to the President’s desk.
“I was particularly pleased to see several of my priorities included in the final legislation. This includes the Cyber Red Team Assessment to increase security against new and emerging cyber threats, which will help support missions related to the 177th Information Aggressor Squadron of the Kansas Air National Guard Unit stationed at McConnell Air Force Base. In addition, the NDAA includes my bill, the Global Leadership in Advanced Manufacturing Act, to strengthen Kansas manufacturers, specifically within aerospace, defense, technology and agriculture. I’m also pleased that this bill will secure a Military-Type Certification for the Textron AT-6 Light Attack Aircraft, which will have a significant impact on the Kansas aerospace community.”
Additional Sen. Moran priorities included in NDAA:
- The NDAA includes provisions from legislation Sen. Moran has championed, the Startup Act, to modernize and increase the authorization level of EDA’s Regional Innovation and Strategies Program. This will provide essential proof-of-concept and commercialization assistance to innovators and entrepreneurs, and operational support for organizations that provide early-stage risk capital to businesses.
- The NDAA includes Sen. Moran’s measure to prevent federal transit dollars from being used to procure subway cars, other passenger railcars and transit buses from Chinese state-owned, controlled or subsidized enterprises, with limited exception.
- The NDAA reflects Sen. Moran’s work to make certain Guantanamo Bay detainees are treated for medical conditions in Cuba instead of transferring them to the United States to prevent future permanent transfers to U.S. facilities.
- The NDAA includes legislation Sen. Moran cosponsored to prevent survivors of fallen troops from being subject to the Widow’s Tax, an offset between the VA’s Dependency and Indemnity Compensation program and the DoD’s Survivor Benefit Plan.
- The NDAA includes Sen. Moran’s efforts to support Hypersonic research and development.
Items to Note:
- In May, Sen. Moran introduced the Global Leadership in Advanced Manufacturing Act to strengthen American manufacturing. This legislation was included in the Senate-passed NDAA.
- In June, Sen. Moran’s amendment regarding Cyber Red Team Assessment was included in the Senate’s NDAA.
# # #