U.S. Senate Passes Legislation to Award 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion the Congressional Gold Medal
Apr 30 2021
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Senate unanimously passed U.S. Senator Jerry Moran’s (R-Kan.) legislation to award the Congressional Gold Medal to the members of the Women’s Army Corps who were assigned to the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion – the “Six Triple Eight” – during World War II. The unit served at home and in Europe where they sorted and routed mail for millions of American servicemembers and civilians.
“The women of the Six Triple Eight deserve to have a special place in history for their service to our country,” said Sen. Moran. “It has been an honor to meet members of the battalion and lead this effort to award them the Congressional Gold Medal. I appreciate the Senate passing this legislation and will work tirelessly to advance it in the U.S. House of Representatives.”
The Six Triple Eight was the only all-black, all-female battalion to serve overseas during World War II, and they were responsible for clearing out an overwhelming backlog of mail, making certain American troops received letters from home to boost their morale.
Items to Note:
- On April 20, 2021, Sen. Moran spoke at the memorial service for Deloris Ruddock, a member of the Six Triple Eight.
- In February 2021, Sen. Moran reintroduced this legislation in 117th Congress.
- In December 2020, the Senate passed Sen. Moran’s legislation to award the Congressional Gold Medal to Members of the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion, but it did not pass the U.S. House of Representatives.
- In March 2019, Sen. Moran introduced S. 633 to award the Congressional Gold Medal to Members of the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion.
- In November 2019, Sen. Moran participated in the dedication of the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion Monument at the Buffalo Soldier Memorial Park on Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.
- In October 2018, the Senate unanimously passed Sen. Moran’s resolution honoring the 6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion.
- Click here to watch a special tribute to the women of the Six Triple Eight.
# # #